Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:37:29 -0700
Knowing their passing is eminent and being prepared for it are two
totally different things. I found out this morning when I awoke to Taz
gasping for air, making more "old man noises" than normal. Today was
the day. Father's Day AND a weekend, but I had already decided that
Taz needed me more than a family dinner. Fortunately I was able to
accomplish both on God's good grace.

The one time I'd ever considered taking a ferret to the vet (in my
first hour of panic and bawling and wanting him not to suffer) but
no one could get to me for an hour and a half.

I was determined that his last moments would not be spent rushing
around in a car, in a strange and sterile place where euthanasia
is as standard a procedure as vaccines... in a place where he was not
familiar and heaven forbid, afraid. Why was it though, that after going
through this so many times, knowing how to prepare the cocktail that
would end his suffering, my mind now seemed to fail me or was it my
heart & selfish love for Taz that wanted to keep him hanging on as
ong as possible. One and most likely both. The tonic I mixed for him
eased his pain, gasping and breathing struggles immediately, and he
just lay quietly in my arms until he passed about 12:10 pm today. A
soft soundscape tune "Duration" played quietly in the background, with
pleasant harp sounds which seemed so appropriate in many ways. The
angels seemed to call him through the music and Tazzy now also had a
"passing" song that spoke volumes about the life of a ferret with no
lyrics at all. They are here, as we all are for but a duration of time.

I've talked a lot about Taz over the years, recently, more than ever
since he was diagnosed with cardio myopathy. He has motored along for
months showing no signs of getting worse ..or better, just the same as
always, looking forward to his twice daily baby food feedings (that
help the Lasix go down)- the "spoon full of sugar" theory. His little
comfort foods were about all the enjoyment he had left. As soon as
he heard the opening of the jar or the microwave, his tongue began
licking his lips eagerly waiting his treat. Again I was fortunate to
be recovering at home from a surgery and could be here for him day and
night, spending tons of quality time in his last days, as I was able
to do for Eddie.

Taz is a beautiful salt & pepper silver with a tuxedo jacket marking...
he always showered me with kisses. ...so many some times, I thought my
lips would go raw, at best get an excellen exfoliating. This is the
fourth ferret in four months. Tazzy was also my pillow ferret. Hop off
the pillow to go use the potty box and return to my pillow , his body
curled around my face....a very special bonding with this guy that I
was fortunate enough to have for 6 years which made him 10 years old.
He was the cure for insomnia, feeling his heart beat against my face,
easing me back in to sleep instead of insomniac theatre. Taz had more
years than most of these guys get. ( as far as the law of ferret
average life spans go) I laid Tazzy next to our pillow until I got back
from dinner with the dads which I attended on auto pilot.... coming
home to hold him one last time it was quite awhile before I decided,
the time for carrying around a deceased ferret had to stop....This was
one of the toughest ones for me and none of the advice I give anyone
would work on me today. I'm now returning to being cemented to the
sofa, feeling like this until Idon't feel like this anymore.

Hug your little ones a little tighter tonight,..they are here but for
a duration.

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html
Help The Helpless. SUPPORT PRIVATE RESCUE
Pay Pal accepted for donations at this email address.