From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:02:05 -0400
This company breeds many different species to sell to pet stores. Years
before PetSmart bought from them, Rainbow Exotics sold to another major
pet chain, Petco. Another species they bred were rabbits. Ferrets were
contaminated with Pasteurella and were not handled properly at the
facility, many arrived at the stores sick and biting. Gerri and I spent
thousands of dollars trying to save the ones that were going to be sent
back to Rainbow to be killed either because they were too sick or too
aggressive. Several of these ferrets were not altered and still had
scent glands, three that came to me had partial improper scent gland
removals that resulted in surgical intervention. The pasteurella
contaminated my group, and three rainbows are carriers. Thousands more
have been spendt on medical care to keep everyone as healthy as they
can be. I had all free roam ferrets until the Rainbows arrived, now I
have to use cages and separate play/exercise areas to keep everyone
safe and happy.

To my knowledge, USDA/APHIS got involved and the breeding of ferrets
and rabbits was stopped at Rainbow Exotics. Some ferrets were sent back
to the original supplier and others were sent to the Texas shelter.
There should be information on them in the archives.

Rainbow still breeds pocket pets, reptiles and birds, which have also
arrived sick at pet stores.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org