From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2011 16:43:05 -0400
Deslorelin can be given to insulinomic ferrets but requires close
monitoring to make sure they are eating enough. I've found in my group
that ferrets receiving Deslorelin implants for the 1st couple weeks
after seem more tired, sleep more and eat less. My group get recipe
twice daily so if someone isn't eating normally I notice fairly
quickly.

I've found the same results with melatonin implants.

I'd recommend monitoring eating with either of these drugs and
introducing ferrets that have either adrenal or insulinoma to a recipe.
A quick easy one is chicken or turkey and gravy baby food (small jars)
mixed with water, ferretone, ferretvite and a touch of heavy whipping
cream. Watch for diarrhea and discontinue or lessen whipping cream
amount if it occurs. Start with a small batch, and after warming
lightly in the microwave, stir with finger to check for hot spots, then
finger feed till they get a taste for it. It takes a few feedings and
a couple days before most ferrets take to it, especially if they are
picky eaters, but most catch on and think it is yummy! This is a good
way to get extra nutrition and feeding a recipe as a treat morning
and/or night may help with stabilizing blood sugar in insulinomics.
Mine eat plenty of kibble during the day and night.

Chef Michaels roasted chicken kibble dog food is one of the foods my
dogs like, and the ferrets steal the soft chewy chicken pieces. I fill
the bowl before I go to bed and by morning the only thing left is the
hard kibble! I fill it again in the morning and by the time I get home
from work the same. The ferrets and dogs are all free roam in the house
so whoever gets to those soft chewy pieces first get them!

I was eating veggies and ranch dip the other night and the ferrets were
not impressed with the ranch dressing (they don't get veggies), but the
dogs thought it was great! We are a sharing family....

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org