From:
Robin Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 06:31:04 EST
Peter Flanagan wrote:
>I had to take two of my monsters in for a check up this past weekend
>and was suprised when my Vet told me that he was so happy now that since
>January 1, CA Vets are legally allowed to treat Ferrets.  Did I miss
>this news from a long time ago or is this news to any one else as well?

Peter, this is indeed true, The following is the information I recieved,

"It appears that our Legislature has addressed this issue.  A law was
 recently passed and signed by the Governor.  The law is a new section
 of the Veterinary Medicine Practice Act, which means that the Veterinary
 Medicine Board must follow it.  SECTION 1.  Section 4826.2 is added to
 the Business and Professions Code, to read:

 "4826.2. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a veterinarian,
 registered veterinary technician, or an unregistered assistant working
 under the supervision of a veterinarian, may provide veterinary care and
 treatment for any animal restricted pursuant to Section 2118 of the Fish
 and Game Code.

 "A veterinarian, registered veterinary technician, or an unregistered
 assistant working under the supervision of a veterinarian, may lawfully
 possess one or more of the animals only for the period of time that, in
 his or her judgment, veterinary care and treatment are necessary include
 boarding when no veterinary care or treatment is required"

Robin, Doodlebug and Petey TPO