Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 18:56:45 +0000
Thank you to everyone so far who has replied with helpful information
for Oreo "LuvU".

We have reviewed all of the information and the Assistant Shelter
Director, Michele Paulhus and I have also consulted with the surgical
vet. He will have his leg amputated tomorrow in order to save his life.

All of the tissue on the back of his leg is not viable as well his foot
is non-functional. The leg itself is in a frozen state.(foot curled
under and fused). I asked the vet if she thought his condition was the
result of a tumor growth or an injury and she described his it as an
injury reminding her of a dog or rabbit whose leg got caught in a bear
trap. I'm guessing it had to do with the scary home made type cage that
was "donated" upon their surrender. As well the injury is not a new one
and she estimates he has been in this condition for a couple of months.
Dr. Strake did amazing things for us when we received our nine ferrets
from Ohio. Some had teeth that needed to be removed, one had a testicle
that had atrophied inside his body and had to be removed among the
usual adv testing, vaccinations and aftercare.

As for how he did over the weekend and today. He is alert and eating
our dook soup like crazy. He is on Baytril at at dose of 0.01 of
100mg/ml twice a day. (And taking it like a champ I might add as we
know it is yucky stuff). He very much wanted to come out of the cage
today. The vet had repositioned his leg after dressing it into a
makeshift soft cast. He did well hobbling around the room and made some
friends. He is the most kissey boy and gives the "LuvU" look every time
you talk to him, hold him or place him in an ultra soft blankie. Yes he
is even using the litter box.

Eleanor Mead has put a special ferret figurine up on eBay to help us
with his medical costs.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/OOAK-winged-ssfc-Ferret-pixie-fairy-sculpture-figurine_W0QQitemZ330202258044QQcmdZViewItem>

As well we will be making more of our fabulous Dry Dook Soup available
on eBay as well with all of the proceeds going to his recovery as well
as a melatonin implant for his "naked" sister who we've renamed
Serafina.

All prayers to all those losing sleep every night for these special
babies.

Sincerely,
Diane Wall
South Shore Ferret Care