Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:41:26 -0500
>Isoflurane is the safest anesthesia to use.  The animals most at risk
>are the young and old and the sick ones.  But no one should have their
>animals operated on when they are sick."

I disagree with the last statement.  Sometimes it is a life threatening
situation, and surgery is the only hope for a sick ferret.  My late 6.5
year old Slinky had a fever that persisted for over 3 weeks.  My vet
tried three antibiotics to no avail.  The spleen felt enlarged.  I opted
for exploratory surgery in which the spleen was removed.  End of fever.
He recovered nicely and lived another year before succumbing to kidney
failure.  Now, I'm not suggesting to operate on a sick ferret that probably
won't survive the surgery or that there is no hope for, or the surgery
will not extend quality life, but when you are faced with the case I was,
sometimes the surgery is the only way to go.  I sought out other's opinions
and made an informed decision.  I felt Slinky had life left in him and I
wanted him to have that chance.

Robin's post was excellent when she pointed out that possible blockages
need to be addressed immediately rather than a wait and see attitude.
I'm sorry she lost her ferret.  This also pertains to ferrets having
problems urinating or straining which indicates possible infection or
adrenal/prostate problems.  Unfortunately, I've had experience with that
too.  Slinky did urinate blood once and was treated for an infection and
later blocked and had to be catherized.  That is one question I would
recommend when trying to find a good ferret vet: Has the vet ever
catherized a male ferret?  When I had to travel out of state with Slinky,
I called around to find a capable vet in case of an emergency and that was
the first question I asked.  Several said no.  Does anyone know why ferret
medicine isn't studied in any depth in vet school if ferrets are such a
popular pet?

Moxie and Chance

--
* Page me online through my Personal Communication Center:
  http://wwp.mirabilis.com/949746 (go there and try it!) or,