From:
Who What <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 1994 23:38:53 -0500
FERRETFAN@AOL
Hi fellow AOLer! I can't seem to remember your name appearing in the Pet
section...do you post there? There are three folders, and ferret posts at
least 3 to 1 over the next pet (dogs?)......we support the largest pet
message base!

About ANF TAMI food, without Ethoxyquin, can I get an address or phone
number. I'd like to find a mil-order or CA-based distributor. Thanks

MATTHEW G HARTL<HARTL@BADLANDS
You should know that many vets disapprove of the early age at which Marshall
Famrs alters their animals. EVERY vet I have heard speak or talked to
(directly or through friends) says you should alter ferrets no earlier than 6
months (Marshall does it from 3-4 months, I understand). Heck, Fred went 7
months because he didn't "drop" ("searching them out" before they drop is
dangerous and not fool-proof).

I'd rather get my animals intact, thanks, so I can be sure they are done
properly.
[soapbox off]

As for descenting, same applies, but I think this is personal preference. It
is expensive, and some feel it does help their scent (in males). Many people
say it makes no difference in their scent and shouldn't be done. I'm unsure
and would like to hear opinions on this since I would like to get a male. As
for females, I can see NO GOOD REASON to do it. Even unaltered females smell
OK with their scent glands. Altered females smell just normally musky. OK, so
if you get them upset and they "hiss," they smell.....baths work great on
these occassions.

ALL:
About shampoos, what is the concensus? Some use ferret-specific, some don't,
what are your opinions? My parents used Johnson & Johnson-brand Tearless Baby
Shampooo (the gold stuff) for years. When we had Daisy, they switched to the
red stuff which has conditioners (Daisy's fur, due to her health, needed
somthing to soften it up). Opinions? Recommendations?