From:
Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2013 05:59:23 -0400
Good advice about not relying on on-line sites/reviews.

Another are the listings various ferret (and I'm sure others)
organizations put out 'recommending' ferret veterinarians. These
are compiled by asking owners to make recommendations. There is no
screening done, either with the person listing the veterinarian or with
the clinic itself. You have no idea whether the person posting to the
listing has any experience at all! I would never rely on such a list.
Yet we see people referring others to these lists on a regular basis.
These lists normally have no explanation of how the information was
obtained, nor do they instruct the user to do their own screening.
They are represented as reliable information.

Another are the listings of ferret rescues and shelters. The same as
above applies.

Be wary of any lists you find on-line. Anyone can compile such a list.
There is no screening, and only the word of the person who added to
the listing. Don't just 'assume' these are good listings. Do your own
homework, question the shelter, vet clinic, etc., and make sure they
are what you really need.

When I got my first ferret, 20 years ago, I called a couple of vet
clinics who told me they were experienced with ferrets. I chose one
that I had used in the past. The more educated I became, the more I
realized that they weren't very experienced with ferrets at all. They
didn't harm my ferrets, but they weren't giving the best ferret medical
care. I eventually found my current vet who not only specializes
in ferrets, but is also willing to learn, despite many years of
experience, and is grateful for any information I pass along. I still
do use the first clinic on occasion.

Katharine
Florida