Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:29:14 -0700
Dooks All ~!

Just to help bring everyone up to date on the tragedy:

I last spoke Dave earlier this evening.

Chris's leg seems worse than the doctors originally thought.  The femur
(thigh) is shattered.  It appears orthopedic surgery will be required.
She also has a large laceration on her arm.

Samantha has been brought in for CAT Scans and surgery.  Surgery will be
required to repair her fractured pelvis and leg.

Both are resting as comfortably as possible given the circumstances.
There is a possibility they will be transferred closer to home when they
are more stabilized.

Mortuary arrangements are being made for little David.  Arrangements will
be posted if the family permits.

The Oregon Ferret Shelter is operating in a restricted capacity under the
control of Katie Wonder.  The shelter is staffed and functional..
Rescues and surrenders are still being accepted.  Potential adopters have
been requested to wait until next week.  Anyone wishing to volunteer at
the shelter is requested to contact Katie (503-557-8369) so she can
coordinate the efforts.

Dr. Alice Davis will be coming up the shelter this weekend to evaluate
and examine all the animals.  Currently there are none that require
immediate medical care or surgery.  Several are on basic medication.  We
do anticipate a few cases of 'shelter' shock due to the atmosphere and
the fact that 'Shelter Mom' has not been there.  Yes, the animals sense
there is something wrong.

PFSN Treasurer, Jaime Gibb, is in the process of opening a separate bank
account for the Mathis Family.  Once established, the bank information
will be posted along with information for donations.

The Benefit PFSN Garage sale will still be held this weekend in NE
Portland.  Arrangements for the Grand Ferret Fun Frolic are continuing.

Thank you to all who have called and written offering your support.  I
have been inundated with phone calls and emails and it is taken some time
to catch up.  If I have not yet responded, please know that I will be
catching up soon.  If there is something that you feel should be brought
to my immediate attention, please email me directly and put something
like 'Shelter Emergency' in the subject line.  If it is extremely urgent,
my cel number is 503-740-3425.

Kevin B & The Way Kewl Kritter Crew    [log in to unmask]
Pacific Ferret Shelter Network VP http://www.FERRETNET.ORG
Oregon Ferret Shelter volunteer http://www.OregonFerretShelter.com