Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:02:29 -0700
Recap: Earlier on Monday July 19th, 2004, Christine Mathis of the Oregon
Ferret Shelter, her daughter Samantha, and grandchild David were involved
in a severe vehicular accident on I-5 in the Eugene area.

It appears the driver of the other vehicle lost control, went over a
median, and struck them head on.  From what we understand, the child
David (7 months) was killed in the crash.  It is reported that his car
seat had broken apart during the impact.

At appx 1130pm, I spoke with Christines husband, David, who had been
at the hospital.  He reported that both Chris and Samantha were out of
surgery.  Chris suffered a broken femur and broken ankle.  Samantha has
suffered a broken pelvis, dislocated hip, fractured leg, broken ribs, and
a punctured lung among other injuries.  As with any severe collision,
there is a concern for other abdominal trauma.

As Dave put it, "they're not out of the woods yet".  Dave will be staying
in the Eugene are to be with Chris and Samantha

OFS Volunteer, Katie Wonder has come up and will be staying at the OFS to
care for the animals.  She will be assisted by volunteers from both the
OFS and PFSN.

Several people have contacted me regarding donations.  Only Chris has
access to the OFS Paypal account and the PO Box for the OFS.  It is my
understanding that the link for the PFSN Paypal account is not on the
website.  Persons wishing to make monetary donations can direct them to
my paypal account ([log in to unmask]) and I will direct them to the
OFS.

In lieu of the OFS post office box,  mail may be sent to the Oregon
Ferret Shelter 17560 South Holly Lane, Oregon City, Oregon, 97045.
Mail may also be sent to Mathis c/o Pacific Ferret Shelter Network,.
PO Box 3007, Oregon City, Oregon 97045.

I may be reached at my cel phone number of 503-740-3425.

PFSN President Roxanne Dial, myself, and volunteers from thh OFS and PFSN
will do everything we can to coordinate any and all efforts to assist
Chris, Dave, and the rest of thier family.

For many of us, Chris and Dave are like family.  This is a great tragedy
that touches us very deeply.

Your support, prayers, and thoughts are very much welcome.
Kevin B & The Way Kewl Kritter Crew    [log in to unmask]
Pacific Ferret Shelter Network VP http://www.FERRETNET.ORG
Oregon Ferret Shelter volunteer http://www.OregonFerretShelter.com