From:
Steve McMall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 17:17:17 -0500
>great, but I'm a little worried about them playing to rough with each
>other!!!!  Captain Tripps( my big boy) tends to look like he's hurting
>Ozzy ( my baby girl), she'll let out yelps every now & then....

Most ferrets play really rough.  I would say that unless Ozzy is screaming,
bleeding, and trying to run away, she is probably having fun for the most
part.

We have a six month old girl that is the epitome of a wired ferret.  She
is constantly into everything.  She jumps pretty high; onto the aquariums,
the computer desk, the toilet....wherever she wants to go, she figures out
a way to get there.  She has about a dozen toys that she moves from place
to place.  Mom asked today, laughingly if there was a tranquilizer for
ferrets.  ( calm down, people, she was not serious) Just in the time it has
taken to type this, I have had to "rescue" her four times!  Because she is
such an active ferret, we have to cage her when we are not home.  She gets
plenty of time out, at least 3 times a day, from a half hour to three hours
each time.  If we didn't cage her, she wouldn't sleep!!!!  The kit that we
got at the same time gets caged with her, partly to keep her company.  Our
other four have free roam during the day, and are caged at night.  That is
mostly so *I* can sleep.  They wear bell collars- so we can find them
easier and to keep us from stepping on the when they are suddenly *there*
under our feet.  Those little bells ringing all night would keep me awake.

>My niece said that she heard there is a ferret named Stretch that is to be
>released soon.  I keep watching and asking a different stores, but so far
>no Ferret Beanie Baby.

I don't collect Beanies, but I'd buy one!  There is a Petco Paw Pal, though.

>NONE of us are perfect and life IS a learning experience.

I am willing to bet that most of us with ferrets knew very little when we
got our first ferret.  With any pet or child, whatever, sometimes you have
to learn as you go.  Lists/forums such as this have taught us more about
ferrets than we every learned from reading books (there are plenty of bad
ones out).  When Steve and I were upset this weekend about a pet shop owner
bopping the kits on the nose when they bit (the breeder told them to do
that) and having a leather glove to handle them, I reminded him that with
our first two, the MF literature suggested tapping the nose to break them
of biting, and we did just that.  We didn't know any better.  But they did
learn not to bite, and luckily are two very well behaved ferrets in their
old age.  Anyway, you learn as you go.

Steve and Becky and six spoiled ferrets