From:
"J. Matthew Saunders" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 23:32:00 -0600
Dear Collective,

Thank you to those who offered advice and support after our critters got
nasty runny stools.  I wanted to let every one know where we stand now.

Both P.B. and Sherlock ended up with the nasty stools.  We brought P.B. to
an Emergency Vet (it was after hours on a Friday) after he showed
symptoms--Sherlock was still fine.  The vet gave us amoxy drops and Flagyl.
Sherlock came down with the same nasty symptoms the next day.  Sherlock
started throwing up as well.  We called Carolyn at Ferret Rescue in
Colorado Springs--her thoughts probably saved our kids.  On the advice of
the ER vet, the two shared meds for a few days.  We got in touch with a
VERY ferret smart vet (THANK YOU Carolyn for the referal!!!)  in Boulder
who prescribed Albon, Pepcid, and Mylanta.

After fighting for over two weeks with ferrets that sometimes wouldn't eat
or drink (we had to force feed for a while), we have energetic fluff balls
with appetites again.  Stools are still soft and seedy, but much better.
We're still working at getting the kids to 100%, but 70% is enough for the
moment.

It was the first time we had ferts that were more ill than we knew how to
handle.  It was a more than just a little scary feeling out of control and
it cost a fair bit of money (ER vets are EXPENSIVE!!) that we didn't
have--but we have a reserve credit card to cover the bill.

Once again, I thank all of you for your support, thoughts, and advice.
This community is full of GREAT  and giving people.  We all are indeed
blessed.

Cheers!
Matthew in CO.

"We have to work in the theatre of our own time,
with the tools of our own time" --Robert Edmond Jones