From:
"Riddle, Suzanna" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:02:44 -0600
I have seen the issue of whether or not younger people can be good ferret
owners come up a few times.  I feel compelled to put in my 2 cents.  This
is not in response to any one particular post.  The concerns about younger
people caring for ferrets are justified.  Some young people may not be
responsible enough and college students may not provide a stable home.  A
little about myself- I'm 21, I have 3 ferrets, 2 cats, and 1 dog.  I alone
am responsible for my animals.  All of my animals receive excellent vet
care.  My dog was recently diagnosed with osteosarcoma.  The treatment cost
around $2,000.  It's the best thing for him so I found a way to pay for it,
with my own money.  My animals eat excellent food, have plenty of toys, get
lots of exercise and get lots of my attention.  I watch them closely to
make sure they stay healthy.  I read books and magazines and research their
individual needs.  I carefully considered the commitment I was making
before I adopted each critter.  I am committed to taking excellent care of
my animals for their entire lives.  I think my critters are lucky to have a
human like me.  Please don't judge ferret owners by age alone.  Some of us
youngsters may surprise you.

Suzanna Riddle
Library Services, Ball Aerospace
Phone (303) 939-6827   Fax (303) 939-4142