Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 12:49:37 -0500
It seems that some people just didn't seem to get the point I was trying to
make in my post, so I will re-state it, and reply to some of the mail.  Gary
Holowicki boldly states that freedom of speech is our constitutional right
and therefore are entitled to say anything you want.  I won't get into the
shouting FIRE in a theatre argument here.  Going on about your "rights" and
"constitution" on the internet is ridiculous.  I am a Canadian citizen.  I
live by a different charter of rights.  The internet is a WORLD wide web.
Not just a playground for Americans only.  It composes ALL people of ALL
faiths the world over.  If some island native who raises ferrets like pets,
but then upon the pets maturity has its throat slit and entrails read while
speaking prayers to his God, if this person posted a prayer on the FML, one
calling for the death of someone who wronged him, lovingly describing the
whole process, which he had done in good faith and with what he would
consider the best of intentions, would you all then be so willing to stick
up for religious rights?  Or perhaps you might consider that posts like this
have no place on the list.

Now on to censorship.  I called for none, just a toning down of the more
colorful details posted here.  There is no age requirement for this list.
Anyone of any age can get access to it.  That should be kept in mind when
posting.  I was not calling for items not to be posted, but more to keep in
mind some sort of "G" rating.  Take responsibility for what you post in a
public forum.  I have seen censorship on this FML lately.  As we know,
someone months back sent Kelleen Andrews a private flame e-mail.  She then
went on the FML announcing this fact and offering this person's address for
all those who wanted to join her private witch- hunt and flame war.  Last
week she is on the FML again, this time upset because this person has the
AUDACITY to actually have a post directly under hers.  I see this freedom of
speech thing seems to work best when it is only your freedom, and your
speech that is heard.

Many of you mentioned how you are all a family here.  I'm sure some posters
have grown close over the years, but if this is the case, then close the
subscription list.  Don't let anyone else join.  Keep it all in the family.
But as long as that subscription list is open to all, then the only family
that counts is the World family.

Finally, all I wrote yesterday was just my opinion.  I used no names, but
just mentioned my own two cents worth.  I am a subscriber to this list and
thus am entitled just like you all.  I meant no more or less.  I can no more
change this list than you can.  Nor was my letter any attempt to do so.  It
was just an opinion.  Nothing more.  Misguided flames dealing with my
dubious parentage and religious beliefs, although quite comical and a great
read after a few beers, are hardly the point.

[Moderator's note: Agreed, this isn't a freedom of speech issue.  Thanks,
Mike, for this clarifying post, and to everyone else who voiced their
opinions.  Now lets get back to ferrets so I can have a short enough issue
so I can post the ferret nicknames!  BIG]