From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 13:06:21 -0800
>From:    william killian <[log in to unmask]> REPLIED
>FERRET PERSONALITY SQUABBLES:
>From what I can tell (and have read) there is not a organized pecking
>order in ferrets like there is in wolves for example.  Dominance games are
>not an ongoing thing in ours.  These DO have squabbles all the time but
>not in any predictible manner like a dominance chain would have.

Hi Bill.  Thanks for answering.  This wasn't exactly my question, though.
I'm not worried about my little guys killing each other, though I don't
like to see my big whole male eaten alive by the little neutered boys.  I
was wondering if other people have noticed a personality change in their
ferrets after they've gone through some kind of dominance struggle (or
perhaps call it squabble) with another ferret or ferrets.  I have two
neutered males who were sweet peas until we added ferrets and they went
through the "getting to know you" phase of fighting.  Now two of my
neutered boys (I have four) ferrets nearly so cuddly as they used to be,
though they still love to play with us two-leggeds.  I'm considering
introducing my big sweet whole male Tarzan to these two buggers (everyone
else of the seven get along), but I don't want him to become less loving
and more aggressive to the other ferrets, including the two little girls he
now adores and treats very gently, or the two neutered males he gets along
well with (who don't go after him when I let them out.) To clarify, there
are two groups, one of four neutered males, and the other group of one
whole male and two whole females.  Two of the four nuetered guys can go
with either group, but two ot the neutered males (who used to be gently)
will fight with the whole ferrets.

The question:  let them work it out or keep things as they are.  I'm
worried my big whole male will become aggressive with everyone if he
begins experiencing fights.

>Lynn and anyone else just starting or thinking of starting breeding, when
>you get closer to the breeding point lets us know if we can be of any
>assistance.  You might also be sure to get the Breeder's Digest...

Thank you Bill.  You can bet I'll be firing off the questions when these
girls go into heat (and Tarzan into rut), but I'll try to do my researh
first and will sign up for the Digest soon!  All we went through last year
was a false pregnancy and that was something!  Watching Mommie and Minnie
drag each other about, each sure the other was her wayfaring baby -- and
the angry chuckly conversations that went on and on.  We'd just gotten
these girls after they'd been bred to a vasectimyzed (sp) male, (not the
best idea I know now, but it was the former owner who had it done).  It was
a lot for these girls to be going through, all this hormonal stuff and
having new owners.  THEY WERE NOT HAPPY.  Mommie was biting, drawing blood,
after her false pregnancy, but I know now it was only our of fear.  Minnie,
the little nipper, gets in a good gnaw now and then, but always with
warning.  The little girl (the runt of Mommie's litter) had to fight for
her life and she's still real orally oriented.  But, boy is she a cute
little ferret.  And, they're albinos, they're beginning to look like little
white puff balls, and so soft - love those winter coats!!

> bill and diane killian
Thanks again Bill.  It's be fun to meet you, and others on the FML,
sometime.  If I ever get to the east coast and to all those ferret
shows!!  You lucky east coasters!!!

Lynn Mc., Janos (the man), Wellington (the big old cat), and the Gang of
Seven