From:
Lorie Whitworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 22:20:05 -0400
Picked Smokey up this afternoon from the Vet's around 4.  He was still very
sleepy from his surgery this morning.  Smokey tolerated the surgery Ok,
unfortunately The Vet was not able to remove all of the tumor (or mass).  It
seems the tumor was not encapsulated, but had grown to several things, his
intestine, sphincter muscle were some parts.  the Vet thought it might have
started glandular, maybe remnants of anal gland that was left.  All of this
is still a guess until the histopathology comes back in about 10-14 days.  I
do not have smokey's cytology and blood workup to post.  The Vet did say
however the blood results were Ok.  I do know it was not an abcess or
fistula.  I don't know how big it actually was since it had to be removed in
bits and pieces.  From the outside looking in it was about grape size.  Also
Smokey has not lost any hair or weight, his problems are mainly some bad
teeth, being overweight and sometimes a hemmeroid.  The Vet said she had not
seen this kind of tumor(mass) before.  I will give more information as I get
it.  Smokey was not given any painkillers or antibiotics when we left the
vets.  He slept for awhile when we got home, he does have some oozing,(his
backside looks awful full of stitches and shaved).  He has taken a few
bites, had a drink and peed and pooped around 7 tonight.  I am pretty upset
about all of this, I could tell the Vet didn't seem very happy of the
outcome so far.  Smokey ,Jim and Molly have been in my care since my son's
death last Dec.  All 3 are very dear to me, I thankyou for you help and
support.

Lorie Whitworth