From:
Lorie Whitworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 23:18:13 -0400
This messages should have been sent before Smokey's follow up note.  I left
out the FML by mistake when I sent it to the TRIFL.  I'm sending it to
explain how this tragedy got started.

"": I have 3 ferrets Jim , Molly and Smokey.  I recently changed them from a
Vet here in Wake Forest to Dr. Brown on Medlin Dr.  I haven't received your
mailing yet, but I wanted to tell you my bad news about Smokey, our oldest
he's about 6 and on the large side.  Last thursday night I was checking his
hemmeroid problem and noticed a large lump(grape size) on the opposite side
of his hemmeroid.  It was not quite protruding out yet.  Dr. Brown saw him
first thing friday, at first she thought it might have been a fistula that
was empacted with something or some remnant of an anal gland (by the time I
got Smokey there friday morning this thing was protruding out)smokey was
anesthetized so she could try to determine what exactly this is.  Dr. Brown
was not able to get very much of anythimg out of it, alittle blood that's
all.  This mass is growing at a fast rate and Smokey is losing his ability
to poop.

Some of his bloodwork came back on sat.  not really showing anything
abnormal.  His cytology labs did not come yet.  I decided that due to his
discomfort and inability to poop to let Dr. Brown remove this as soon as
possible(monday at 8a.m.).  Whether it is cancer or not is has to be
removed.  Smokey's appetite is great he dosen't act like there is anything
wrong until he tries to poop.  Then he strains and makes chirping like
sounds and tries over and over to go.  I gave him some laxatone sat.  and
today to keep him a little loose it seems to have helped a little tonight.
Smokey's weight has been a factor I think with his hemmoroid problems, he is
just big by nature.  I kept Smokey at home with me over the weekend.  I just
couldn't leave him there, I thought I kept a good watch over these little
guy's It surprises me this could happen so fast.  Smokey was just at the
Vet's about his teeth and he was checked from top to bottom a few weeks ago.
I'm sorry this is long, I'm pretty upset about this whole thing.  Please let
me know if you have heard of anything like this.  Thanks for
listening.:""(END)

The responses I received have been very helpful.  It's the 3rd day after
surgery and Smokey is coming along OK.  I'm think he should be on some kind
of antibiotic.  We are going back to the Vet's thursday.  I'm keeping my
fingers crossed a miracle will happen and the pathology will come back with
good results.

Lorie Whitworth