From:
Candice Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 06:26:55 EDT
It was [log in to unmask] who said (snip)

>So the question behind the story is, how do you treat ferret bites on
>humans?  Being in CACA land I don't want to have to go to the doctor and
>make up a story about a stray cat bite.  I cleaned the bites well with
>lots of soap and water, and they appear fine.  But bites can puncture and
>seal bacteria in easily.  Anyone out there experienced and treating their
>war wounds want to give some treatment tips?"

When I get a cat bite, they generally get infected and require antibiotics.
When a ferret bites me, even in a joint, it has never even gotten inflamed.
I just wash it well, put on antibiotic ointment and a bandaide and have no
more problem.  Of course, if the wound gets hot, red swollen, pus filled,
or you get a red streak going up your arm, you need to see a doctor
immediately (and take that cat story with you to protect the ferret).

If you are worried, soaking in very warm water saturated with salt or
Epsom salt three times a day for 20 minutes will help prevent infection
in puncture wounds.

cb  (Emergency Room RN)