From:
James Makowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 1994 11:09:51 -0500
Although I am new to the FML, I will give you an idea of what I bought
for my 10 week old kit, Nibbles.  (It was great getting her for Christmas
as a gift, but I found myself buying my Christmas Gift christmas gifts.
:)  )

I looked at leashes (for ferrets they should be harnesses that look likes
two loops connected by a strip of something), the one that I liked best
is made by Marshall (the farm where she comes from).  I didn't buy it
though because I'm having enough trouble getting her to wear the Marshall
collar with a bell on it that I bought her.  She either slinks out of it
while tunneling under our sheets or she attacks the bell and gets her jaw
caught under the collar.  It's a funny sight to see for about two seconds
and then she starts thrashing about and I get worried and remove the
collar.  I tighten it a little each time, but she keeps getting stuck
like this.  Maybe it'll work out soon, she doesn't get much freedom
anyway, I still have to ferret-proof my room and wait for her to be
totally litter trained (she still messes from the second level of her
cage, occassionally resulting in a missed litter pan because she moves
it).

As far as the smell, I don't mind her odor (it's not really strong) but I
bought some things to make her fresh smelling.  I bought Magic Coat
Tearless Kitten shampoo.  The ferret shampoo they make is not tearless
and I didn't want anything that'd possibly injure her.  I also purchased
a ferret "deoderant".  It's by a company called PPT(?) and it is used
after or between baths.  I also have a dry ferret shampoo called
Ferretsheen by the makers of Ferretone and Ferretbites.  You powder it on
her and brush it all out of her coat.  It worked for about a day (besides
the fact she didn't want a bath or a brushing, she wanted to play so I
didn't get to do her whole coat).

Regards,
Jim and Nibbles (banned from my Aunts farm because of all the
Ferret-killing-cow stories, thanks guys :) Only kidding :) :)  )