From:
MJ Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:52:54 EST
I'm a bit behind on my FML reading, so I don't know if this subject has
been discussed much lately, but I'm curious about a something.  I have been
a pet owner (of a very wide variety of pets) since the age of two.  I was
never taught that animals are expendable, but I was taught that when
animals reach a certain point in their existence when living is no longer
a pleasure for them but sheer torture, it is time to let them go.

I have been a ferret owner just over a year, and I have yet to have to deal
with a painful terminal illness in one of my fuzzies, but I'm sure in the
coming years, I will.  I know, that from my experience with other types
of animals, the second the vet tells me that one of my animals has no hope
of ever really "enjoying" his/her existence again, that it will all be
downhill from that point...and when I can look at the animal and discern
that it is in pain and no longer live comfortably...I will allow it to be
released from its suffering.

I have seen animals die in some excruciating ways, and I cannot imagine
allowing one to die that way if I could simply euthanize it and save the
animal (and, admittedly, myself) a great deal of suffering.

I see so many posts here about people attempting to preserve their animals'
lives as long as possible, until the little creature's body just gives up
on its own.  That seems almost selfish to me.  I understand that choosing
to put an animal down is a very personal choice, but is there no one out
there on the FML who feels that sometimes, in some cases, euthanasia is
the more humane way to let our furry friends pass from this world?

MJ, who is donning her flame-retardent gear as she types, so she can ward
off all the emails from people who will almost certainly suggest she is a
"fuzzy killer"...