From:
Thor Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 08:15:18 -0700
Hi Debbie,
Good Job!

I've been in a similar situation once, it was a neighbor who had a 3 year
old ferret girl, totally bald from adrenal, she was caged in a tiny little
cage with no food and water or bedding, she was completely ignorant when
it came to the care of the ferret.

It was very hard for me to refraim myself from chewing her head off once i
found out the conditions this poor ferret was living in, i went home and
printed a copy of the FAQ, underlined all the parts she really needed to
read, and brought my most recent copy of my Ferrets magazine, and went to
see her, (in my case i could be diplomatic, since she had asked me to
advise her on the baldness) I showed her the magazine and the wonderful
pictures of the cute and spoiled ferrets, (and what they should really
look like) all spoiled and loved.

We talked about adrenal and i told her the ferret needed to see the vet,
and have surgery, i also told her a lot about my ferrets (at the time
Liza and Truls) and invited her to come over and visit us, I gave her the
magazine and the printout.

When she came over that same day, she saw my spoiled fat fuzzie babies and
their set-up, a huge home built cage, with tubes and hammocs and toys and
dishes and litterboxes and blankies, she saw how they were out bouncing and
playing, and all their toys were all over the floor and she cried, she felt
so bad for her little girl at home, and we talked for a long time about her
ferret, and suggestions to change her life, i realized that she did love
the ferret, and she just didn't know better, and although to me there is
no excuse for bringing home any animal without finding out all possible
information about their care and needs, i didn't find it in my heart to
bash her like i would have liked to.

She realized that she wasn't in a position to give this ferret what she
needed and i brought this skinny bald little creature home with me, and
gave her playtime!, love, food, water, and a cozy warm cage,(i let her stay
out all night long first) and found her a good home with a Vet assistant,
who had been saving a long time to get a ferret, she used that money
towards surgery for this new family member, and last time i saw her she
had started to grow in her new coat, and the girl couldn't stop telling me
stories about her wonder-ferret...and i could tell she was spoiled rotten
with love and attention, i cried a little myself....:)

I think if you are worried about bringing home some infection to your
fuzzies at home, make arrangements in a separate room, as far away from
your ferrets as you can, and don't let them share litterboxes, food and
water dishes, or even the play area, let them out in separate rooms untill
you have found a home for this rescue, and wash your hands everytime you
handle any of the ferrets, to protect both the rescue and your own.

There is never 100% guarantee that they wont "catch something from each
other" but in all likelyhood this ferret hasn't been exposed to anything
in its life, least of all life itself!

If your ferrets are current on their shots, there is no need to worry about
distemper, just make sure the "new guy" gets his set,

It is my understanding that distemper in ferrets is very rare, but almost
100% fatal IF they get it.

Sorry this was so long, i hope it helped you some, feel free to e-mail me
privately if you want, but don't let any worries or concerns prevent you
from doing something for this little guy who needs someone on his side.

It's an incredible feeling to see your "rescue" get a second chance at life.

Sincerely
Josephine