From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:58:21 -0500
Suki -

We've been using newspaper as litter for years - the Wall Street
Journal and New York Times are considered top shelf! The local
Hartford Courant is okay, but not as high a quality (urine tends to
seep through - the paper quality just isn't as good - ha! Amazing
how you become picky!). We value every donation that Pat Shaskin
brings for FACT from the Aetna!

Almost all of us use it at FACT. We use it in the shelter (two sheets
per corner, hospital corner inside tuck up; under the barriers for
those who love to kick it about). I also use paper it here in my home,
three sheets thick if I'm feeling wild and crazy in those
"ferret-selected" corners.

Keep in mind, we don't cage in the FACT shelter. Rather have two large
open rooms for our shelter kids. Mine have a single large room as well.

A number of folks who use cages and/or litter boxes also use folded
newspaper as they've found it, like you, easier, faster, lighter, and
neater to deal with. Also, cheaper as long as you get the paper or have
a ready supply.

For a time, Vanessa, our shelter director, was purchasing blank
newsprint in large batches, and we used that cut in half in the shelter
as it did not track ink when the ferrets tracked through the wet
papers. It's actually minimal provided you "wetjet" daily or use a
spray/paper towel wipe-up.

For those who use a corner floor protector like a boot-park or similar,
it is very easy to keep clean as well. No tracking, no litter debris,
and we like to think, the ultimate in recycling.

We find most ferrets take to it quickly. The only ones who sometimes
have a bit of a problem are the old-timers who have a tendency to slide
a bit. But they will often have trouble with litter boxes as well. So
for them, we often find a small throw rug strategically placed close to
the paper gives them the traction they need. Then that's what wee-wee
pads are for. ;)

Ann Gruden
Ferret Assn of CT (FACT)