From:
Katie Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1992 11:27:18 -0400
Well, it seems to me that the place to attack the proposed
Renton, WA, ban on ferrets is where they lump ferrets in with
animals that are "found in their natural life in the wild,"
or whatever the wording was.  Sheesh!

Chip, tell us how we can help!

Steve, I can't help you about the carpet chewing, but
I would suggest supplemental feedings to skinny Smokey.
You might try Nutrical, and there are other suggestions
in back issues of the newsletter (you have them, right?)
of other supplemental feedings for ferrets, including
a recipe for "Duck Soup"(!  We haven't tried it yet, but
plan to, soon).  The Crandalls suggested mixing hard-boiled
egg yolks, cooked rice & dry cat food with Nutrical -- we
haven't done that yet, though we have mixed hard-boiled
egg yolks alone with Nutrical.  These are general recommendations
for sick ferrets or ferrets in crisis, & I'm not sure Smokey
is, but he could get that way, if he continues to lose weight!

BTW, Bandit has completed his first 5-week chemo cycle, and starts
cycle #2 on Saturday.  Dr. Jeglum says he looks great & that his
liver is no longer swollen.  He is over 2 pounds again, and still
looks thin but no longer emaciated.  And his fur is starting to
grow back in where he was shaved for surgery.  He is playing with
the others & with us, too, which is great!  He even has started
dragging Jeff's leather sneakers downstairs again -- he didn't
have the strength for that for a long time.

On another note, we think Charlie's eyesight is deteriorating.
What kind of symptoms should we be looking for for cataracts?
His eyes are not brown like the others, but sort of dark
burgundy, & sometimes they look a bit cloudy.  It doesn't seem
to be affecting his activity at all, but we're thinking we should
take him in for a checkup.  Charlie is the only one of our four
that we do not know the breeder -- we adopted him from an
acquaintance who couldn't deal with him.  He is beautiful, though --
with this spring's coat change, he is getting lighter and lighter --
lots of silver guard hairs on his back, legs & tail -- quit striking
along with his white mitts & bib & big pink nose!

Pogo is settling down somewhat -- and getting bigger all the time.
He's 18 weeks old now, and still very bouncy & chuckles most of the
time.  He is starting to think that biting is a game, however, and
is getting more spanking. Cries of "NO!!" reverberate through
the house.  The funniest thing he does is to chase you across
the floor & LEAP onto your ankle, as though he thinks he can
stop your forward motion.  He NEVER bites feet & ankles, though.

Molly is her same old self -- a curious loner.

Well, that's all from this ferret ranch for now. . .

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie & Pogo