From:
James Cristea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 17:49:00 -0500
Just a _FINAL_ note on the BFF program.  I have changed my mind and have
to rescind all I have said in opposition to the release of BFF.  I wrote
letters to the President, Vice-President, and my congressman along with
F&W and other officials.  I copied this letter to a few newspapers and TV
stations.  My local paper decided to do a story along with a photo on me
and Cody.  This was great.  Larry Schanks of the F&W was contacted by the
reporter and had given him a few statements.  On Friday of last week, Mr.
Schanks called me to explain some things.  The official reason for Carolyn
Kinsey's dismissal from the F&W was for not following protocol which
required a minimal amount of handling of the ferrets.  She became too
attached to them.  I asked him if in his honest opinion if he thought what
was happening was the best thing for the ferrets and he said yes.  He has
25 years of experience in the F&W and sounded very non-defensive and
informative; willing to give any answer without hesitation.  Each ferret
will be given a complete physical by a DVM and he said that less than 47
will actually be released!  The ferrets are about 4 years old (not 5).
Also, they have been aclimated in outdoor pens since February.

Also, I have the video tape of her and Andy handling the ferrets.  The
ferrets were not "tame" as was stated earlier.  They acted as though they
were looking for food and humans just happened to be in the way.  They
acted like squirrels in someone's backyard eating out of their hand.
Sorry for the long post, put I think I have the most complete stories so
far.  Please contact me with any questions since I did not want to make
this post go on too long.  Don't get me wrong, I love ferrets and am have
concern for all animals but I just know that this is the right thing to
do.  Remember, that the intention of the BFF program was for their
ultimate release.

     Thanks,
     Jim Cristea