From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 09:51:46 EST
Derek and Amy Fleming Write:
>WHAT!?!?!  Half of the ferrets I sell, I sell at ferret shows or because of
>ferret shows!  Many ferrets that are in shelters are adopted out at ferret
>shows!  How many of the LOS-NJ members breed ferrets?  Disease control and
>bite incidents will still be an issue with the ferrets being shown!  What
>is to say a "stranger" will not walk by and stick their finger in a show
>ferrets cage & get bit?  That is, infact, the way most people are bit!...

My reply- We have several breeders in our group.  At last year's show we had
two breeders with kits- only one was a member of LOS-NJ.  We had several
shelters who had tables and photos of ferrets available for adoption, but
none of the shelters did adoptions at the show.  They did however adopt out
many ferrets as a result of meeting people at the show.  I am dismayed to
hear that you sell so many ferrets at shows.

>We take pride in the fact that we discourage people that are considering
>buying a ferret from buying one!  We tell them to educate themselves first.
>We have many people call us after the ferret shows and say - "Hey, thanks
>for being so honest with us.  We read up and asked lots of questions at the
>show and we want to come out and buy a ferret from you."

My reply- I am glad to hear that.  Regertfully many breeders (and even some
shelters) just want the money.

>I agree that the sale of a ferret is stressful for the animal.  But isn't
>it stressful for a pet store ferret?  Don't people make impulse buys at pet
>stores?  Even more so then at ferret shows.  At least at ferret shows the
>people came to see ferrets!  I will have to sell my ferrets to pet stores
>(which I do not want to do!) if sales at ferret shows stop!

My reply- This is a ludicrous statement.  Then perhaps you are overbreeding.
I certainly think that you would meet enough people at shows who would be
interested in talking to you at a different time about getting a kit from
you.  If you are willing to sell to pet stores, than you are obviously more
concerned for your wallet than the ferrets.

>Socializing of ferret people should be a sepperate meeting/gathering - with
>or without their ferrets!  Who has time to socialize at a ferret show when
>you are trying to get your ferret in the show ring!?!?

My reply- I show plenty of ferrets and still have plenty of time to
socialize.  I also judge and help with organization of shows, teach ferret
care (ears, teeth, nails, general health and care as well) and do pretty
much anything anyone needs me to do.

>As far as a show being a breeders showcase - who do you think supports &
>funds the majority of the ferret shows?  And all the breeders are doing is
>setting a standard of quality animals and promoting the breeding of quality
>animals.  And how can exhibitors educate the public while socializing?

My Reply- Not our show.  Most of our support is from vets,
suppliers/manufacturers of ferret products, small businesses, individuals
and other clubs.  In fact the few dollars we earned from renting tables to
breeders (and I had a waiting list for tables) wasn't worth the hold-up
during vet check and the mess they left behind that we had to clean up.

>I will NOT rent a table just to display a photo album.  I will NOT support
>a show that doesn't encourage the sale or adoption of ferrets.  I will NOT
>support a club that encourages this no sales/adoption thing.  I WILL
>continue to put plexi-glass on the outside of my show cages so no fingers
>get too close.  I WILL continue to only let very serious buyers hold my
>ferrets.  I WILL continue to educate the public on ferrets (to the point
>where I don't eat lunch or dinner during shows).

My Reply- I am sorry you feel this way.  But then I am talking about
affecting your wallet, so I guess you would feel this way.  I am more
concerned for the welfare of the ferrets than the breeders wallets.

>In the future of LOS-NJ I see not a whole lot of people supporting your
>shows via lack in attendence.  How many people that own alters show them?
>Most say "It's not a breeder, why should I show it?  It's just a pet." Most
>of the ferrets shown are BREEDER FERRETS!  The reason we show is to promote
>our ferrets, the quality animals we produce, and the ferret in general.  I
>don't need to show my animals to know that they are quality.  I do need to
>get them seen so I can sell my ferrets.  So do alot of breeders.

My Rely- I think you underestimate our show.  As I stated earlier, we only
had two breeders, and neither sold all their kits.  We had over 100 altered
ferrets shown at last years show.  That was almost double the amount of
breedable ferrets we had shown.  We prefer to promote the ferret as a pet,
not a breeding machine.  We prefer to discourage breeding- there are way too
many ferrets in shelters that need homes.  I am sorry that you are more
concerned for the money you make than the general health and welfare of the
ferrets.  And by the way, our last show was a huge success, tables are
already sold out for this years show with no breeders, Sponsorships are
already almost sold out for this years show, again no breeders, and we
anticipate a higher attendance than last year.  I think you grossly
overestimate the need for breeders at ferret shows.  But then again, as
economics play a part in your viewpoint, you would.  We are concerned for
the ferrets.

-Anne Ryan
 President
 LOS-NJ