Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:21:08 -0400
Otter Driver

I too have a tall midwest cage with 2 plastic shelves & 2 ramps.  I have
heard several times of ferrets breaking their backs falling inside these
cages.  Whenever we get one in, we modify it.  It has a huge amount of
wasted space!  Simply go to Home Depot & get the vinyl coated shelving for
pantries (spaces are smaller than the one for closets).  It comes in a 6'
length.  Have them cut it in 2 pieces to fit across your cage.  The cages
I've redone are 34" or so across.  Measure yours though, to make sure!
This will give you 2 shelves.  You can also get a wire basket with a lower
front...it is the stacking kind.  Then you get the plastic wire ties from
the electrical department.  Also get some vinyl flooring to cover your new
shelves & the floor of the basket.

Attach everything with the plastic wire ties.

Take out the ladders, to make room to get the shelves in.  Install on the
3rd bar down (including the bar near the top) in the back, the top shelf.
On the next bar below that, on the right, install one of the plastic
shelves, ours run back to front.  Install bottom wire shelf in the back,
2 bars below top plastic shelf.  The bottom plastic shelf goes on the left,
2 bars down from the top wire shelf.  Hook the basket up on the left, in
the front, to the bottom of the top wire shelf.  Attach the long ramp in
the front, from the top plastic shelf to the bottom plastic shelf.  Attach
the short ramp in the back to the bottom plastic ramp, extending to the
floor.  Hang a hammock at the top level just even or below the top wire
shelf, making it extend over the ladder & plastic shelf (it will be on the
right).  Hang a second hammock in the empty space to the right in the
front.  Attach it to the bottom wire shelf & the front of the cage.  Line
the wire shelves & the basket with the vinyl flooring (cut to fit).  Add
all the essentials & you're set!

Good luck

Jeanine of the
Ferret Rescue at Mutt Management