From:
Manfred Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 14:20:42 -0400
Anne Charbonneau,

Well, this won't be a totally unbiased opinion but here goes anyway.

I have had very pleasant experience with my Yorkshire Terriers and my
ferret.  They get along fine and Yorkshire Terriers (Yorkies) are
non-allergenic as they don't have undercoats, they have hair like you and I.
Although if you are allergic to canine saliva or dander then no dog will do
that I know of.

My fuzzie (Chichlet) just has a riot with my oldest Yorkie on occasion, but
for the most part they just don't bother with each other.  Chichlet's too
busy checking out the house and everything else in his world to give the
dogs a whole lot of attention.

Don't let people tell you that because they are "Terriers" that they won't
get along with other animals.  I had a female Yorkie that was a mouser, but
never laid a cross word or tooth on any of the ferrets we ever had.  On the
contrary, she had her hind leg grabbed by a ferret a few years ago and all
she did was scream.  She knew she wasn't allowed to hurt any new babies mom
brought in the house, so I had to come to the rescue.  As soon as the ferret
was taught not to bite (it was a baby at the time) they got along famously.
The Yorkie in question has since passed away of old age, 14-1/2 years, but I
also have her daughter and two others.

The biggest thing is in introducing them and letting them get to know each
other, under supervision.  Socializing has always been a big factor with all
my pets and that's why they probably all get along.  Three Yorkies, one cat
(was 2 cats up to last Tuesday), and one fuzzie.

Just not to seem totally biased, there are several other breeds that would
probably do well.  A dog as big as a Golden Retreiver (but they shed and
irritate allergies), to Poodles, Airdale Terriers, in fact most of the
Terrier breeds are non shedding.

Hope this has been of some help and that you find a canine companion that
you and your fuzzies can both live with.

                                        Deb Fischer