From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:33:22 EDT
Re: Emergency
>1. Is he OK?
>2. Will he be able to crap-out the wad of toilet paper in his stomach?
>3. if not, what do I do?  All the emergency clinics within an hour had no
>one who knows anything about ferrets.

At this point, you've probably already found a vet or someone else to help.
If not, get to your vet as soon as you can. Ferret knowledgeable or not,
emergency vets should be able to assist with animals that are choking, ate
something they shouldn't have, and the so on. Dogs and other animals can
have the same problems and similar actions would be taken for all.

I wish you luck!

Re: Weighing ferrets
>Office Depot sells a decent postal scale that is selectable for grams or
>ounces for about $70.  I bought one and it works pretty good...

Kitchen scales come in all sizes.  I know I've seen kitchen scales for less
then $70 and so kitchen supply stores might be the way to go!  Kitchen
scales usually range past 4 lbs too!

Re: Key crosses over to Rainbrow bridge
>its late here and i cannot sleep.... tonight while walking from the bathroom
>i accidentally stepped on one of our new ferrets... Key.  And she died
>tonight at the animal emergency clinic.  She died because of shock and
<snip>
>ferrets dying.... and how do i deal with my guilt over what happened... how?

Thankfully I have not yet had this pain, but there are a number of others
here who have - perhaps they will respond to you directly.  They will tell
you, probably better then I can, that it wasn't your fault.  It's just
something that happened.  That Key was happy and loved in her life and
wouldn't hold this against you.  I'm sure Key will be happy to see you when
your paths cross again.  ;)

-kim, squirt (melon! I needs me some melon!), pippi (raisins! I need raisins!),
 atlas (you guys eat weird stuff!), and 'jinx (I'll eat anything mommy gives
 me!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.