From:
Tyler Nicholas Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 13:06:42 EDT
In regard to ferret shelters......

I have worked with a couple of ferret shelters with fostering and
volunteering.  I First started helping out The ferret haven By the Sea
here in Virginia Beach.  As I began to volunteer, I saw more and more
ferrets that are just dumped as if they were a commodity.  Its appalling
to see how people cast out there ferrets.  Most shelter directors are
quite rigorous in making sure potential adopters are suitable.

The Ferret haven By the Sea Shelter Director is the most amazing person.
Her dedication to the ferrets is unsurpassed.  Now In Washington I have
also had the opportunity to volunteer at the best little Rabbit rodent
ferret House.  There is a very high number of ferrets in the shelter and
it is very sad to see.  So many people again just get bored with their
ferrets.  When I first began to volunteer, I was given a very harsh
interrogation.  I wasn't even adopting but the shelter advised cared
enough about her animals that she wanted to make sure that the help that
they were getting was the best.  It is not wise to allow any ferret
around others who there is little information on that is just a common
fact.  its not that Shelter operators aren't interested or don't have
the proper customer service.  They are shelters NOT Pet Store.

Tyler Mills