From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 00:29:08 -0400
To the Person with the Ferret Who Walks Away during a great play time:

I have not seen an answer to the post from the man who had several basic
questions about his ferret's behavior and personality.  I think it was from
someone in another country than the U.S.  Because I was behind, I thought
someone would answer and I didn't save the issue.  It was a short post with
a couple questions.  Maybe it was answered directly by e-mail.

The question I remember is why your ferret walks away when you are having a
great play time.  This and the other questions you asked were all normal
ferret behavior.  Ferrets have short attention spans, probably because they
are very smart and get bored easily.  Was your other question about your
ferret not being affectionate?  Many of us wish our ferrets liked to be held
and petted more.  Some love to be held, but many do not.

I hope you will not be too disappointed with your ferret.  I can tell by
your post that you love him and want to understand him and have fun.  But I
think you may expect him to be more like a dog.  Ferrets are not like dogs
or cats in many ways.  They are wonderful pets, though, if you understand
what to expect and learn to play with them their way.

If no one wrote to you about your questions, please e-mail me directly if
you would like to talk about your ferret and ask any questions.  I am no
expert, but I have read a lot about them and have loved them for two years.
If I don't know the answer to a question, I will help you find the answer.

Regina Harrison:

I'm so glad to hear the news of Amelia.  I was behind in my FMLs, so she was
already either getting better or gone when I knew your situation.  I can't
pray about events I know the results of, but I do pray when I don't know the
results, even if I know it is technically too late.  Since God is beyond
time and space, I believe he knew my prayers before I prayed them anyway.
So I prayed and prayed that you would receive the warning about the false
results that are possible on xrays.  (I never knew they weren't reliable!) I
knew how you would feel if you got the news too late.  How very fortunate
that we have the FML and BIG and the others who go out of their way to help
when we and our babies are in need.

Judith White