From:
Natalie Cornish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:31:13 -0400
Lisa, I hope my answers (Listed next to the questions you asked) help.

>1. If you have a dog is it an indoor or an outdoor dog?

Our 16 week old german shepherd puppy is an indoor dog.

>2. How many and what kind of dog(s) do you have?

We only have one, german shepherd.

>3. Do you let the dog(s) and the ferret(s) socialize together?

Methos is allowed free access to the ferret room when they are not out
playing.  When they are out playing, we allow very short visits by Methos
into the room, and I am always there on guard, watching every move.

>4. If you said that you do let them socialize together under
>supervision, then how do you apply this supervision?

When Methos is in the room with loose ferrets, I stand very close by
and watch his every move.  I dont think he would hurt the ferrets
intentionally, but since he is a puppy, he is very clumsy and gallumps
around quite a bit.

>5. Were the ferrets introduced when the dog was still a puppy?

Yes.  As soon as we brought methos home at age 6 weeks, he was introduced
to the ferrets.

>6. Have you had any bad experiences with having dogs and ferrets?

I have at times been fearful that a mistep would hurt the ferrets, but
they always get out of the way, and they always have a place to run and
hide if Methos gets too excited.  Methos will literally beg to play with
the ferrets, sitting by the cage and whining at me to let them out.  If
they are out, and he hasn't had a visit with them, he will jump up to put
his paws on the edge of the door (we have a dutch door) to try and see
into the room.  I'm sure that as he gets older, we will be able to extend
his playtimes, but I say, better safe then sorry!  ALWAYS supervise the
playtime.

Natalie and the furry snakes + 1 puppy