From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 08:26:41 -0400
Could it just be as simple as these are 'wild' American bunnies, and
that is why Joos has never seen any quite like them in Europe?  My Mom
had a good half-dozen of these little cuties hopping around her yard in
Massachusetts, pointy little ears and all!  (The ears really do have
sort of a crease running the length of them, as if they had been
folded.lengthwise.)

This spring, they started out smaller than a pack of cigarettes, now they
are about three-quarters grown.  I thought for sure they were going to
be eaten.  It used to be cats would eat them young, but now coyotes have
moved into town, and wiped out most of the cats  These guys have survived
by staying very close to a thicket grown from wild grape leaves that
comes right down to the ground.  Nothing bigger than a bunny could chase
them in there. (Obviously my neighbourhood mink doesn't travel that
far!)  When I drive into my Mom's yard, little brown bunnies explode from
beneath her garden flowers and streak toward the thicket.  She hates them
because they nibble on her rose bushes.  Her dog plays with them.  (She
says he is a 'traitor.")

Alexandra in MA

(An' I'm gonna eat *you* on thursday...)