From:
Jennifer Halbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:40:47 -0800
Hi,
I have a really stupid question, but has anyone ever talked to Fish and
Wildlife about banning the house cat.  I was thinking that since they claim
ferrets if released might have a negative impact on wildlife cats should
probably banned there too.  Now I dont know about California but here in
Victoria (Canada) our SPCA has records that suggest in our city (about
500 000 people) cats kill on average 250 000 song birds a year.  That to
me sounds like a pretty negative impact.  I was just thinking that if cats
were threatened there maybe more support for ferrets.  My theory is at
least: since we can say with some degree of certainty that the common house
cat impacts wildlife, but we cannot say this about ferrets, why are ferrets
banned and not cats?  Or dogs for that matter.  Here in Victoria we have a
problem with feral cats, so we can deduce from this that cats can survive
quite nicely in the wild.  Anyone ever heard of a colony of feral ferrets?
I mean there are feral dogs that attack people, but dogs have not been
banned right?  I just keep on thinking that if ferrets are really being
banned for the possible negative impact on wildlife then there are alot of
animals that are going to need to be banned.  Maybe cows, pigs, horses too
(after all none of these animals are native to north america and by that
very nature impact on wildlife!).

Okay so maybe I am nuts.  I have been told this before, but does this make
sense at all to anyone else?

hope all the fuzzies and their owners are having good days
jenn and annika