From:
Denise Laxson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:40:32 -0700
I personally have not been to the particular shelter that seems to be
the center of all the postings on the FML, but I have been to Sandi's
shelter and I can tell you her shelter (and yes she does have one to the
individual who directed her to open a shelter) far exceeded what I really
expected a shelter to look and smell like.  Her home does not smell like
poop boxes, there are not piles of poop every where, all the cages have
index cards attached to them with the ferrets name & markings, any meds
or special diets they are on as well as warnings that they may be biters
or easily spooked.  You know you're in a home that truly cares for the
animals, when the refrigerator is opened and an entire shelf is dedicated
to duck soup and meds, with what appears to be more for the ferrets than
the humans!

I personally have 19 of my own and they will remain in my forever home
until it is necessary for them to cross the bridge.  I adopted a group of
6 beauties from Sandi that came from this Florida shelter and Sandi has
worked long and hard to get these ferrets up to being healthy, playful
little balls of fur.  I am so lucky to have been able to get a group that
were raised together and fit so well in with the other 13 I already have.

My heart breaks every day when I read the fml of some of the horror
stories that people have run across, as well as the sobbing daily (at
home, can't read at work!) at the greetings from the keepers of the
rainbow bridge that finally give some peace to the ferrets as well as
the moms & dads that have lost them.  I am amazed when scanning through
shelter web sites at just how much time and money they all spend with no
regrets to care for the loves.  Have no fear, I too will tend to mine
when the day comes, and hopefully not soon, when medical care is needed.
I believe there is so much frustration within all the shelters at the
massive numbers of ferrets being sent to shelters that cause tempers to
flare.  Believe me if Sandi, Phyllis & Valerie, believe there are grave
concerns for the remaining ferrets in Florida, then we as a ferret family
need to assist in helping all involved.  I'm sure the care givers in
Florida never imagined things being so out of control, but rather wanted
to just be sure the ferrets were taken out of neglectful situations.  It
now appears from the postings on the FML, they are now in need of placing
ferrets in homes where each and every ferret can be allowed fresh air,
love & kisses and free roam time.  I wish I were closer to some of the
shelters where I could donate time, but the closest is Sandi and it's
about 5-6 hours away, but all she would ever have to do is call me and I
can make a weekend run and help as needed.  All that being said, to those
who question Sandi's sincerity or drive to help ferrets, it is totally
uncalled for, she does her part and then some!

Denise and her taterbugs:
Beasley, Koda, Kobi, Buckie, Wilbur, Yogi, Tessa, Zoey, Mia, Ziggy, Sugar
Bear, Odie, Snoopy, Nelson, Nibbles, Mio, Gizmo, Sweetie pie and Smoke
missing Bandit, Willow, Rosie and Honey waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.