From:
Ed Hoffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 10:39:05 -0500
Blank    [huh?]
Hi all;

This is not a flame or pointed toward any posting for starts, call it an
"Editorial".  From all that I have been able to tell Performance Foods has
been forthright, and open about the problem with the bad batches, they have
done everything they could to get the bad batches out of the "pipeline".
Regarding the bags with the old "Point of Contact", an unfortunate
coincidence that couldn't have occurred at a worse time.  Companies all
around the world will exhaust current supplies of labeling for just an
address change, but, the bag labeling is not what is at issue here.  But
let's be realistic, it seems everyone is pointing their fingers at
Performance Foods, but not were the problem seems to be really.

Distributors and stores do not work for Performance Foods, they will do
"as they see fit for their business" and make priorities on what's done and
how fast.  They have been notified, and re-notified.  Complaints have been
lodged, but still the issue remains.  Who is the culprit?  When you put it
all down on paper, the culprit is the one "holding the food".  If they do
not act responsibly and pull the batches then why blame Performance Foods.
Regrettably the pet and animal community doesn't have the same benefits of
the human community.  If it was a "human" food problem there are so many
government agencies to check and cross check it would make you dizzy to
ensure all batches were pulled.  But, our "fuzzbutts" don't have the same
"exact" protection, also we are talking about what at "face value" is not
life threatening (except to those who know).  They have to rely on the
morality and honesty of distributors and stores to make sure the batches
are pulled.

Yes it would be nice if everyone reacted responsibly, but do you honestly
think that Performance Foods has the resources to do a physical on-site
inventory and yank every "bad" bag that is out of their control, sure they
probably did it where they could, but everywhere in the world?  I'm sorry,
I am a realist, lets put the blame where it belongs, the distributors and
stores who "had other more pressing" matters to pursue, or the workers and
their supervisors who just didn't care enough to do the job right.

Ed - who didn't do it "yet"
 &  the "didn't do it"  innocents