From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 10:12:19 -0400
I emailed John Engler yesterday and I encourage all Michigan residents to do
likewise, since we have more influence than non-Michiganders.  This whole
situation makes me sick.  Everytime I think of Kodo, I see my Sebastian, who
wouldn't bite anyone even if you tortured him.  BUT he has long little
ferret fangs that could catch someone's skin.  Do you guys realize that this
means even NON-biting ferrets are not safe in the state of Michigan?  If
someone breaks out into stigmata and your ferret is watching them through
the window three doors down, can we be sure that animal control won't show
up and demand the ferret's head?  As of now there are NO exceptions to the
kill and test policy.  Not for vaccinations.  Not for indoor ferrets.  Not
for sweet non-biters.  And no one seems *#$@ing willing to undergo a few
shots to save a sweet animal.  What is wrong with that old man anyway.
Hell, I'LL take the shots if it means getting Kodo out of jail!

I am sending $25 today, and I challenge everyone here to do the same.  $25
is one cheap dinner out with your girlfriend.  So cook spaghetti tonight and
save a ferret.  There are hundreds of ferrets killed and tested for rabies
in Michigan every year.  That means if this case with Kodo is successful, I
may have bought the lives of thousands of ferrets in Michigan, or even
indirectly tens of thousands of ferrets across the country for fractions of
a penny apiece.

-Catherine

(What are the chances of a government employeee coming in on a weekend to do
rabies testing?  I think Kodo is in the home stretch!)