From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 09:43:50 -0400
I was told that someone here in Ann Arbor recently had his leashed ferret
attacked by two squirrels.  It's rutting season for squirrels here, so that
may be the reason.  Anyway, I figure any ferret is more than a match for two
squirrels.  Just please everyone keep your vaccinations up to date!
Squirrels have never shown an interest in my furrbozos, but they usually
don't get close enough to me to meet them anyway.

I now have eight furrballs in my house.  I am in possession of Melissa
Litwicki's crew PLUS her friend Terance's two boys.  With my own, that's
eight.  One less than the fateful nine ferret fiasco of last August.  (Heat
wave, no AC).  They brought over an extra cage, but all eight ferrets
decided to test the tensile strength of the hammock strings.  So far, the
volume of the hammock is most restrictive, keeping the count down to six.
My dog is obsessed with Friday, the albino.  We think Friday may have even
greater powers of mind-control than Mithril.  I could swear I heard them
muttering something about "cow-tipping." So, anyway, they are all sleeping
together like old friends.  I am starting to wonder if I should take my
magic hammock over to Yugoslavia or the Middle East.  What does everyone
think?

I feel really guilty for not having bought my ferrets a clear dryer hose
now.  Melissa brought one over and they almost died of ecstasy.  Even
Sebastian was wagging his tail.  Most of the time he won't even admit he has
a tail, or fur, or whiskers.

I once saw a conversation about using rabbit pellets for litter.  I bought a
bag to try, since it is a) cheaper than Yesterday's News b) actually can be
found in stores in the summer unlike wood pellets c) compostable.  Can
anyone recommend a particular brand?  I'd like to find one high in alfalfa
meal without any animal fat or sugar.  That would just encourage the bozos
to snack at the box.  (Not to mention dogmonster, alias: The Schnachshund)

Oh, almost forgot.  Since having this dog and talking to dog people with
their fancy show dog names, I have been trying to think of "show" names for
my ferts.  I came up with "Shaffer's Nine Princes in Amber" for Sebastian
and "Shaffer's Harsh Mistress" for Mithril (as if I could ever show Mithril,
except maybe in the "barracuda" ring).  I haven't thought of anything for
Mortimer yet.  But I like coming up with those crazy names.  What are your
ferrets' show names?  The dog's "show name" is Vanilla Bean.  So dignified,
eh?

-Catherine and
Sebastian and Mithie the Impaler and Mortimer "Huh?" and Nala the
Schnachshund