From:
Kristine Lunny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 01:17:46 -0700
[Kim said]:
>Yes I am a rescue.  No I don't know everything and never claim to.
>
>I state again..I AM NOT NEGATING THE IMPORTANCE OF TESTING!!  Let's try
>not to twist up my meaning here please!  I am aware that ADV is very
>important.  I have donated $ to research myself even though my rescue
>struggles for funds.

In order to make very important decissions such as not testing, you would
hope that you have researched the matter first.  United has been around
long before avecon.  If you are donating to research, thats great....but
first donate to the ferrets which you take into your care.  Your own
testing is part of the research.

>How many of you have watched your ferret lay in your arms and see it
>shoot blood from it's rectum?  Now is the time to step forward.
>That's a pretty endorsement for vaccinating isn't it?  It's no wonder
>some forego vaccinations..  Distemper vaccinations are risky business
>with ferrets.

I personally have seen a handful have reactions...I'd say around 5 out
of the 500 + vaccines I've seen given.  Then from other shelters I've
seen as well as just other ferret loving friends...probably again...the
same 1 in 100 seem to have a reaction.  I've seen 1 ferret die from the
vaccine.  But to this day...it's the only one I know of.  But can think
of 100's which I have known to die of distemper itself.  So yes, staying
at the vets office for an extra 20-30 minutes is a very good warning...
but to warn off altogether?  Are you really sure about that?  I think the
only time to forego any vaccination is because your vet says it's in that
ferrets best interest..because of past reactions, illness, age ect.  But
as a shelter to decide against vaccinating altogether you are really
asking for devastating loss.  You are bringing in new ferrets regularly,
it's only a matter of time before you see distemper in your home.

Over vaccinating?  Well maybe...but that is a different discussion
altogether.  Studies would be nice, so we know exactly how long typically
can go between vaccinations safely.

>I guess that you've never witnessed a ferret deemed terminal with
>lymphosarcoma with a prognosis of "not much time left" and then
>watched them thrive from the benefits of Essiac tea.  Check out new
>rainbowbridge for some more information.  Your future cancer patients
>will appreciate it.

I'm very aware of Essiac.  And yes I've seen far more terminal cancer
kids than I'd like to discuss.  No Essiac didn't help my cancer patient,
but it didn't hurt either.  I still would not encourage the use of *any*
herb as you stated in your previous post.  Using a specific remedy for a
specific illness when there is no other options...yep I'm all for it.
Do whatever you feel is right or gives you hope.  But remember even herbs
can be dangerous.  Natural does not equal safe.  Many of these home type
remedies are also very expensive.  Make sure you can afford to test
ferrets and make sure you know what you are treating for first or you
will be spending yet more unnessasarily.  Personally I also would never
use any homeopathic remedy to replace proven medical practices.

I can tell you feel defensive over my post.  I may of been unnesessarily
sarcastic.  But by saying shelters which do test and vaccinate are doing
so as a "...tool to cut down the other rescues..." you did alienate
yourself from those of us who do so for the ferrets sake....and don't
have the money to waste in any meaningless ego war.  We work very hard to
make sure the ferrets are taken care of in the best way we know how.

Kristine

Friends of Fuzzies
http://www.friendsoffuzzies.com

FOF LOGO T-shirts & More