Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 04:32:04 -0700
>This is the first I've heard of United

Yes I am a rescue.  No I don't know everything and never claim to.

Thanks to Danee for all the information again!!!!

>Problem is...if a ferret has ADV and you don't do a simple 10 dollar test
>on it...you will end up spending 100's, maybe health care

I state again..I AM NOT NEGATING THE IMPORTANCE OF TESTING!!  Let's try
not to twist up my meaning here please!  I am aware that ADV is very
important.  I have donated $ to research myself even though my rescue
struggles for funds.

>Over the years, we have seen here on the fml many families and shelters
>which for whatever reason had unvaccinated ferrets...the results have
>been devastating.

Again, I am not saying that ferrets should not be vaccinated or that I
don't vaccinate.

>It would be very difficult to do any kind of realistic study on
>vaccinating in a shelter envornment.

I understand this.  I am merely stating the experiences of ONE person and
what he has observed over a period of a very long time.  I thought it
noteworthy of mentioning and never implied that it was a huge research
study.  Just something that was noteworthy.

>Distemper is airborn.  So don't open your doors or windows either...ever

Yes distemper is airborne but never opening your windows is just a little
extreme.  Let's not forget the risks involved of doing vaccines on
ferrets, the reactions many of us have witnessed.  Hey folks , how many
of you have had a ferret die in your arms from a distemper vaccination?
How many of you have watched your ferret lay in your arms and see it
shoot blood from it's rectum?  Now is the time to step forward.  That's a
pretty endorsement for vaccinating isn't it?  It's no wonder some forego
vaccinations..  Distemper vaccinations are risky business with ferrets.
They have enough going against them already being mass bred through
farms, neutered and spayed too young.  People in it for the almighty $$$.
Shipped out to petstores in deplorable conditions.  Neglected by the same
and being passed on to consumers with incorrect care information.  Other
countries don't see the same high incidents of health related problems in
ferrets.  Gee, ya think something is wrong with this picture??

>I can't imagine I would ever endorse any med under any condition...
>whether dr. prescribed or herbal.

I guess that you've never witnessed a ferret deemed terminal with
lymphosarcoma with a prognosis of "not much time left" and then watched them
thrive from the benefits of Essiac tea.  Check out new rainbowbridge for
some more information.  Your future cancer patients will appreciate it.

Kim Fox