From:
Dee Gage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 15:44:09 EST
I'm tired but emotionally fulfilled.

I've been involved with ferrets only since July 1996 and this was my first
real involvement with a rescue.  I have my five fuzzbuts and I've pretty
much dedicated myself in the communication, education and networking part
of ferretdom.  Geez, I had my initiation into real vet-type denistry a
couple of weeks ago helping clean teeth (with the gas, tubing, etc).  I
shiver when I think about it now even.

Wednesday "Ms. P" called one of our GLFA members saying she had 15 ferrets
she could no longer care for.  She lives in St Johns, which is a few miles
north of Lansing and about 60 miles east of me in Grand Rapids.  The time
on her cell phone has run out and she was unable to get her phone # and
address into the conversation.  All we had was there were 15 older ferrets
with 4 adrenal and 1 hob in the mix.  When word of the crisis reached
me, I was able to make a few phone calls and had people able to help
foster/shelter, but we didn't know where she was.  Thursday evening came
and I opted to drive to St.  Johns after work to see if I could find her.
Luckily St.  Johns isn't that big a town and the last known addresss I had
worked.  I went directly to the local police department and they knew where
I wanted to go, and I won't get into that part of the story.  I found the
ferrets, I found "Ms. P" and made arrangements to pick them up Saturday
at Noon.  I will tell you the living conditions were nasty and that's as
far as I will go with that part of the story.  I will tell you when I
introduced myself to "Ms. P", you could see the stress leave her body
from the relief she felt.  She started to cry, hugged me and couldn't stop
saying "Thank you".  I know the reality of not being able to take care of
these guys broke her heart.

With the help of Bruce Plaisier, Melanie Swider and the mini-bus from Brent
Sundberg, I was able to rescue these little sweethearts.  They are all now
nestled their new environments, clean, well-fed.  They all need their
vaccinations because "Ms.P" had let those lapse.  The hob is on his way
Monday to gib-hood.  4 adrenals are in various stages of baldness and will
be assessed and most likely surgeries will take place this week also.  For
this, I want to thank Melanie and Dr. Jennifer Petrovich, of the Clyde Park
Vet Clinic, here in Grand Rapids.  Dr. P uses cryosurgery, by the way.

This was my weekend to major clean cages for my own 5.  Last nite I cleaned
up the 3 I brought home: Quincy is a fat chocolate boy, Nibbles is a dark
silver girl and Miranda is a beautiful black little girl.  They all 3 have
sweet dispositions and are probably 5 years old.  I thank June Wolf for the
playpen I'm using.  I guess I should clarify I live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath
apartment so it's a bit crowded right now.  I have my 5 all cleaned up.
I usually have my Sunday coffee with my Sunday newspaper.  Today I had my
coffee in the ferrets' room with dirty bedding, litter, etc.  I showered
twice: once with Hershey, Finnegan & Stone; and a second time with Wylie.
Nilla got her bath in the sink.  My ferrets won't integrate so it's 3, 1
and 1.

Now that the ferrets are taken care of and their room is in some semblance
of order, I have to face the living area.  There is still a Midwest cage
that needs to be broken down.  Both bases have plywood screwed under them
and I want to get rid of the wood because I can only imagine what could
have permeated into the wood ........ shiver.

After my own little experience here, I can honestly say I have nothing
but the utmost respect for those of you (you know who you are) who
rescue/shelter/foster our beloved ferrets.  It's a lot of work, a lot of
stress, a lot of heartbreak but there's a good feeling in your heart and
soul knowing you've done something so good.  I applaud you all.  And for
those of you who righteously sit in judgment of this person and that
person, this situation and that situation, you disgust me.  We are NOT
here to judge, we're here to help the ferrets ....... period.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get on my soapbox.  I have to go now and sweep out
Brent's mini-bus, Febreze it and then take it over to him so I can get my
Miata back.  There's ANOTHER story .... me driving this huge mini-bus after
a year in my little Miata.  Needless to say, Bruce drove Saturday.

Take care
Dee
Nilla ("What the H*##% is going on in my house!)
Hershey, Finnegan, Stone & Wylie (in unison: "Good Grief, now what has she
done".)
Quincy, Miranda & Nibbles ("Hey! No flies! No Meow Mix! Clean hammocks!
Wow!!)