From:
Dee Gage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:18:07 EST
It was advertised as NATIONAL FERRET DAY CELEBRATION.  Saturday, February
17, the Grand Rapids Public Library hosted GLFA at the Main Library at 2PM.

I had negotiated this event with the Sara McCarville, Youth Services
Coordinator.  GLFA members who participated, along with their ferrets,
were:

June Wolf, Bruce Plaisier, Michele and Dave Doyle and Dick and Janet
Nelson.  Also helping out were Melanie Swider and Elle Jensen.

We no sooner got the playpen set up than people seemed to come out of the
woodwork.  We heard comments like "We marked this in our calendar as soon
as we found out.", "We're so glad you're here.", "We've been looking for
GLFA."

The event seemed to take off on its own and I wasn't sure I really needed
to make a formal presentation until a couple sitting quietly off from the
rest of us got my attention and asked "Are you going to make a
presentation?  That's why we're here." So I attempted to get everyone's
attention and began.  FOX TV17 (GR area) news crew was there and we were
on the 10PM news.

"What's furry and cuddly and was at the GR Library today?" they started
the story.  They ended it saying "It was part of GLFA celebrating, of all
things, National Ferret Day.  What will they think of next."

It was a cute story.  never long enough.

I took my Shelter Kids from the Feb 3 St Johns rescue: Quincy, Nibbles &
Miranda.  Quincy stole the show.  He is just such a total adorable
happy-go-lucky sweetheart.  I had him chasing the cat feathers on a stick
and that got things going for him.  He went from one set of arms to another
and loved every minute of it.

Library staff was thoroughly amazed at the large turnout.  Sara was almost
giddy when she told me the official count was 95 people who attended our
event on a cold February day in GR.

I've agreed to make the same presentation the first week of April, which is
Spring Break.  So if you're in the area, give me a call and join me.

Monday, April 2     2PM West Side Branch
Wednesday, April 4  2PM Creston Branch
Thursday, April 5   2PM Seymour Branch
Friday, April 6     2PM Madison Square Branch
Saturday, April 7   2PM Yankee Clipper Branch

I want to offer my profound thanks to Sara McCarville and her staff at the
GR Library.  I also want to say how proud I am to be associated with people
such as June Wolf, Bruce Plaisier, Michele and Dave Doyle, Dick and Janet
Nelson, Melanie Swider and Elle Jensen without whose help, this would not
have come off as easily as it did.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Dee Gage
Nilla
Hershey, Finnegan, Stone & Wylie
The Shelter Kids: Quincy, Nibbles & Miranda