From:
bill and diane killian - zen and the art of ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:47:59 -0800
>From:    Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: The Ferret as a Working Animal; Question
>I had an interesting email from a farmer who grows vegetables in
>greenhouses.  He has always experienced problems from rats getting in
>his greenhouses and seriously damaging the vegetables.  He asked what I
>thought of the possibility of using ferrets to keep the rats out of the
>greenhouse.

This is what ferrets were bred for in the US up until the middle of the
last century.  Much more useful against rats than for chasing rabbits here.

Most likely though the farmer doesn't need ferrets living in the
greenhouse.  Occaisional visits would be enough.  Ferrets would usually
belong to exterminators who would bring them in.  Not sure though who in
New England still has exterminating trained ferrets.  Okay, We're very
sure we do not know anyone.

There might also be an even easier answer.  Litter boxes.  When you clean
out the litter boxes (better from undescented ferrets) just the contents
placed appropriate places (perhaps where the rats are most likely getting
in.  Would help deter the rats from the smell of a natural rat predator.

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets