From:
Kimberly Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:10:59 -0800
>I am interested in the source of the ingredients in Pingsford's
>Porridge and if they come from animals which are raised without
>the use of hormones, steroids, and/or antibiotics.

This is a topic we researched very deeply before making Pingford's
for our own Weens and it presented its self in two forms.

First, we researched "all natural" ingredients versus "certified
organic" ingredients for our ferrets and ourselves ( the foods we eat
at home). Certified organic is preferred, of course, but due to the
very high cost and limited supply of certified organic meats for our
very particularized Porridge, we could not find (except on a limited
basis) all of the variety of meats we use at an affordable price or in
quantity,to be able to consistently make Pingford's Porridge available.

Secondly, the use of hormones, according to our meat supplier, is,
and has been, illegal. Steroids are wide and varied, as are other
veterinary medicines (antibiotics, etc), but, generally speaking they
are closely regulated.We choose "all natural" ingredients without added
broths or anything else which would cause us pause. We prefer free
range all natural and try to choose, to the best of our abilities,
regional meats that are available in the quantity and quality we desire
to serve the ferret community. Price is secondary when we are assured,
beyond our doubts, that there may be anything in the meats which we
would not consume ourselves and, on that same note, serve to our Weens.

Of course, as careful as we are, we cannot preclude any additive by a
primary meat supplier that our butcher or we do not know about.

We purchase our meats from a variety of suppliers, depending on the
best quality, availability and price of the ingredients we use. This
is why we request 2-3 days to process orders. If quality ingredients
aren't available to us, we simply don't buy any at all until our
supplier(s) have the quality we require.

You've asked an excellent question, thank you!

Just a reminder, the Pingford's Porridge Grande Opening Giveaway is
still underway! We're giving away 3 free full-sized packages to 3 lucky
winners at the end of January! Email your name and email address to:

Kimberly
www.pingfordsporridge.com