From:
David Osmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 1996 09:01:11 -0700
Hi about ferrets gettng on the balcony.  When we moved into our new place
which had a balcony on the third floor the first thing I did ( before even
unpacking:)) was to place plexi-glass all around the railing.  Couldn't use
chicken wire etc.  for a number of reasons; 1) condo so had to worry about
the neighbours complaining, 2) My ferrets are quite capable of climbing
anything they can get a grip on be it wire or pantlegs.  We have a rather
large balcony so it took 6 sheets of 60" * 30" sheets at about $20.  Cdn per
sheet.

It has really been worth it though as we don't have to worry about leaving
the door to the balcony open and it is a good place to let them play outside
their cage when we are doing sometihng we don't want them to get into.  Also
someone mentioned litter being thrown from the cage Natasha will do this
when their is too much litter in the box and sometimes in a new box as well.
To protect our carpet underneath the cage we first used a lighting panel but
found this cracked too easily, another choice could be plexi-glass but what
we our currently using which is working really well is a drop cloth(heavy
plastic) cut just a little bigger than the cage bottom.  They sometimes will
crawl under this but they haven't done this in a while so I guess the
novelty has worn off.

             David, Jennie and the ferrets Tara and Natasha