From:
Scott Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 11:04:54 -0000
The conclusion--1996

In concluding the tale of Margaret's Babies, I would like to re-introduce my
current babies and tell you how each differs in personality.  Also, I would
like to offer some suggestions to you, the new ferret owner or prospective
ferret owner, on ways in which you can improve the quality of life for your
fuzzy.  I believe through the sharing of information as we do through the
FML, we all learn how to make life better for our "children".

Each ferret is different in personality and demeanor as evidenced by my
present family.  Their personalities are very dirverse, yet, they get along
well and play well together ( in their own little cliques).  No matter how
he or she behaves,  it is my job to love and take care of him or her.  It
is a job that I take very seriously and enjoy tremendously.

My Babies:

Princess-sable female-(unsure of her lineage-possibly back-yard breeder)
Princess is a very quiet little girl who rarely gets into mischief.  She
loves to "dig" in the water dish.  She is a loner, especially so since Buddy
passed on.  Her name when she was given to us was "Mean-ness" and for the
life of me, I can not understand why anyone would name someone so loving
such a name.

Gismo-sable male-(back-yard breeder)
Gismo is by far the most vocal ferret that I have owned.  He knows that he
is the "baddest thing on feet".  Gis loves to roll and turn and twist and
basically just "show off".  He likes to sleep with his "pets".  He has never
nipped or bitten a human except for the play bites that he gives

Harley-sable male-(MF)
Harley is extremely intelligent.  He is also a "mooch".  He has learned to
go the refrigerator and lay on his side and he will get whipped creme.
Whenever he sees his leash, he heads to the door because he knows that he is
going for a walk.

Scooter-sable female (MF)
Scooter is a problem solver.  She seems to evaluate the situation and then
comes up with a solution.  She loves to bite the top of her humans' feet.
Scooter is also a climber.

Coco-sable male-(unsure of lineage-shelter baby-no tattoos)
Coco is a darling in every sense of the word.  He never bites or nips even
in play.  He is "what everyone desires in a ferret".  Coco is well mannered
and definitely "people friendly", a real jewel.

Merlin-champagne sable panda-(professional breeder)
Merlin is an expert at giving ferret kisses.  He loves to "t-bone" the
others when playing and then lay on top of them so they can't move.  He is
constantly rearranging his nest.  Merlin likes to run up to Scott or myself
and bump us and then back away at incredible speed in order to get us to
chase him.

Rusty-cinnamon male-(MF)
Rusty received a "double dose" of ferret.  He is into everything!  Rusty has
only one speed--turbo.  He, also, has an affinity for potatoes.  He has
stolen at least five pounds of potatoes from the pantry and stashed them in
his hiding place.  Rusty steals every stuffed animal that he can locate.

Fancy-sable female-(unsure of lineage-no tattoos)
Fancy is focused or maybe stubborn.  She discovers something that she wants
to explore and she will find to way to get into it.  Fancy always does a
cute little double circle whenever she feels frisky.  Fancy was not very
trusting when we first got her, but that has changed to large degree.

SUGGESTIONS:

1)  Find a vet who is not afraid to say "I don't know all the answers but I
    will try and find out."
2)  Provide safe roomy cages or a ferret proofed room for your ferrets when
    you are  away.  (For their safety)
3)  READ, READ, READ any literature that you can find re: ferrets.
4)  Join ferret organizations/clubs-the more the better.
5)  Attend shows, fun fests, or other ferret focused events.
6)  Make certain that you have thoroughly ferret proofed your home (your
    ferrets will     help you with this one.)
7)  Make certain that your pet receives a canine distemper vaccination yearly
    (No exceptions as this can prove fatal to your fuzzies)
8)  To those who are considering allowing their ferret to have a litter of
    kits- because they are cute-DON'T.
9)  Ask questions and heed the advice of the experts,ie: P Grant, BIG, etc

I sincerely hope that the tale of my babies has provided some insight into
what being owned by a ferret can entail.  I realize that the story is
negative in structure but that was my intentions.  Too often, people are
blinded by the cute fuzzy face and are not really ready for the reality of
pet ownership.

The joy that my babies have given me far outweighs the negatives..  I truly
love these little critters and feel blessed to be allowed to have them in my
lifie.

Bless each and everyone of you wonderful ferret people.

Margaret and her babies