From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 23:58:23 -0600
I am getting a lot of hate mail, spurred by recent comments on the FML
(I know they were spurred because FML posts are quoted).  People have
suggested caloric restriction is hazardous for several reasons, or,
because of their own emotional background, they would never subject
an animal to DR/CR, suggesting it would be painful.  It has even been
suggested I am creating a dangerous situation by suggesting dietary
restriction might be an effective means of improving the health of
ferrets because ferret people would be unable to handle such a diet
(where is the FML Anti-Condescension League when you need it?  You
poor dumb FML people are just not capable of making dietary changes
that could help your ferrets...).

[Moderator's note: I rather resent your characterization of FMLers as
"poor dumb FML people".  BIG of the FMLACL]

I have a single question: what if by some miracle it turns out I am right
and individual biases and unsupported warnings turn people away from a
dietary technique that would HELP ferrets?  If people REALLY CARED about
ferrets, I mean really, honestly cared, when why don't they listen to the
argument BEFORE they start shooting it down?  Have you noticed I have
been supplying references supporting my argument, yet the opposition
repeatedly issues vague, unsupported warnings rather than evidence of
their own?  As Johnny Cochran said, "When the evidence mounts, resort to
emotional manipulation to win."

The problem is, IF my argument holds the promise of helping ferrets, who
will be held responsible for the suffering of ferrets if nay-sayers are
allowed to shout it down BEFORE the evidence is presented?  Personally, I
HATE the idea a single word I make might harm a ferret.  I can't imagine
the guilt I would feel if I ever caused one harm.

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything: I'm just trying to
explain current scientific advances on dietary restriction and how they
may apply to ferret health.  I just think problems caused by a diet
ill-suited to ferrets have caused a lot more problems than it is given
credit for.  I do find it strange that people who profess such a strong
desire to help ferrets would work so hard to stiffle a message that has
yet to be completed.

Bob C