From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:47:49 -0600
>I am getting a lot of hate mail, spurred by recent comments on the FML
>(I know they were spurred because FML posts are quoted).  People have
>suggested caloric restriction is hazardous for several reasons, or,
>because of their own emotional background, they would never subject
>an animal to DR/CR, suggesting it would be painful.  It has even been
>suggested I am creating a dangerous situation by suggesting dietary
>restriction might be an effective means of improving the health of
>ferrets because ferret people would be unable to handle such a diet
>(where is the FML Anti-Condescension League when you need it?  You
>poor dumb FML people are just not capable of making dietary changes
>that could help your ferrets...).
>
>[Moderator's note: I rather resent your characterization of FMLers as
>"poor dumb FML people".  BIG of the FMLACL]

I'm glad you enjoyed my satiric comment.  My first comment was more
sarcastic than satiric, so I edited it to make it less offensive, but
I think it made the point.

The attitude offends me as well, which is why it fires my dander to read
constant 'warnings" to people of "hypotheses", suggesting they cannot
follow a modified dietary regime that might improve the health of their
ferrets.  It is beyond condescending: it assumes FML readers are too dumb
to read evidence and decide for themselves, as well as too dumb to learn
how to modify a diet for their ferrets.  I am NOT a "content monitor,"
deciding what information is beyond the intelligence or skills of the FML
readership; I assume ALL readers can take the time to read and understand
the hardest and most complex of posts.

People make Bob's Chicken Gravy all the time and some make it better than
I do.  They read my posts, even the highly technical ones, and follow
them well.  I am constantly asked incredibly intelligent questions, some
extremely perceptive, by people that lack significant formal education.
I refuse to underestimate the intelligence and ability of FML people, and
WILL NOT ASSUME they cannot learn a difficult concept.

Folks, read the posts, weigh the evidence, discuss it, ask questions,
read some of the references, and then MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!  If you read
the information with a mind open to possibilities, I promise you you will
not think your time wasted.  Don't let anyone bully you into chosing
sides PRIOR to the end of the presentation.

Bob C