From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:13:58 -0700
RE:  Two Pole

To the other anon person - I too am very concerned about these new
breeders...

I too would like to hear about the wonderful things they have done for
ferrets.  If they have made donations but wish to remain anonymous, that's
great.  I'll take their word for it.  I wish they would.  If they can
afford to buy over 300 privately bred ferrets they should be able to make
a contribution to ADV or vaccine research.  They should be able to make
contributions to shelters.

Are they going to be willing to take back any ferret placements that don't
work out?

With that many breedings - will they really be able to keep track of every
single kit that leaves their facility?  And it's health for a lifetime so
they can make decisions about breedings and culling lines that aren't
working out very well?  Have they heard of Wardenburg syndrome?  I know
they have a lot of "pretty colored and marked" ferrets.  But they don't
even seem to know what color is what.

They are new to ferrets as far as I know.  I would never have CONSIDERED
breeding until after I had ferrets for many years!  It is MUCH too
complicated!

And just because they bought a whole lot of ferrets does not necessarily
mean they will become the premier breeder of ferrets.  They just
established themselves as a smaller scale Marshall Farms or Triple F or
Path Valley.

Has anyone seen their facility?  Has anyone checked to be sure they have a
ferret-knowledgeable vet?  Do they fully understand what will happen in a
few years when 400+ ferrets start to become ill with old age?  I do hope
for their ferrets' sake (as I do for everyone), that they have healthy
happy ferrets that won't get cancer or insulinoma or adrenal or one of the
myriad of other problems that take our babies too soon.

Do they have a plan for retired breeders?  Where are they going to place
them?

As for the numbers of kits - WOW!  And that's just one breeding!  Where are
they going to place all those kits?  I'm worried about placing 10 a year!
I want to be absolutely sure my kits go to great homes!  I won't sell to
just anyone.  But if they have to place over 1800 babies - can they really
spend time with each potential new owner before the sale to be sure it's a
good fit, and after the sale to answer all the questions that are surely
going to come up?
As for the showing - yep, entering 30-40 ferrets pretty much guarantees you
are going to place well with at least a few of them.  Especially when you
have so many more to choose from - you can just pick the best at the
moment.  It's a little unfair, but then all the breeders enter as many as
they can - it's the nature of competition.  But asking for their own rings?
Sorry.  Standards are standards.  They may not be 100% right but all the
organizations are doing the best they can to establish standards and you
have to go with it.  I don't think I've ever actually seen a tangerine
ferret.....

I am concerned about diseases as well.  Do they know to test?  Have they
tested?  It's costly - but necessary.

I don't mean to bash them personally.  I've met them and they are a nice
couple.  But when I heard what they did, I nearly fainted.  At one show
they were asking very basic care questions.  I thought it was great at
the time, well, they were a little overboard on the ferret math, but they
seemed able to handle it and seemed like a good couple to get to know.  I
was looking forward to seeing them at more shows and getting to know them,
and watch them grow.  Then the next thing I hear they've bought all those
ferrets and are breeders!  In no way do I believe they, OR ANYONE ELSE WITH
THAT LITTLE EXPERIENCE, should be breeding and adding to the problems in
the ferret population.  We already have the large farms selling to
everyone, and overcrowded shelters.

It's great to have choices for ferrets - and there should be more smaller,
RESPONSIBLE breeders out there.  Maybe there would be less purchases from
pet stores.  We can hope and work toward that goal.  But note the word
responsible - if this couple had started with one or two breedings - can't
fault them really for being so excited about ferrets.  But to dive in with
a mini-farm?

I am a very concerned ferret owner, who supports my local shelter regularly
and other shelters as I can.

==
[FH]