From:
Dee Eisenman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:40:00 PDT
Ok, I have to ask why a negative post about Charlie Herring would have
made it to the list.  Another breeder posted something very negative about
Charlie, and I would now like to know what Charlie has done that is so bad.
Instead of throwing out blanket statements (which could be slanderous),
please inform the FML readers what exactly she has done that has been so
bad.

My recommendation is that breeders (present and former) should not be
bashing each other on the FML or any other list.  You never know when you
might become the victim of such and therefore have your reputation damaged.
Frequently, I have heard breeders bash each other and it is not good
business/moral etiquette.  Often these people bash each other because of
personal issues, NOT the actual breeding practices.  I would like to know
if those who have bashed Charlie and Two Pole have actually visited her
ferretry.  Please provide all the details.  I know several people here
that have some of her offspring and they are beautiful ferrets.  No health
problems, etc...to speak of.

If you are going to give your opinions on products and/or breeders, please
back the information up with WHY you feel as you do so we can all make
informed decisions.  If it is simply that you don't like what the breeder
has said, how they talk, dress or run their website, that to me is just not
a relevant reason to make blanket statements about their ferretry.  Now, on
the other hand, if you purchased a ferret or supplies from them and they
did not deliver as promised, then I think you should inform everyone on the
FML about this so that they are protected from the same.  I think this was
the case with a ferretry awhile back when someone purchased a ferret, but
the ferret was never delivered?

It is hard to take anyone's advice about a breeder when they do not state
what they have witnessed or what it is about this breeder that is so bad.
If you have not seen the ferretry first hand, I recommend you do so prior
to making any decisions or listening to inflammatory and inexperienced
remarks.

If Charlie chose to get out of ferretry, that is her decision and should
not be speculated on nor should she be bashed for it.  Circumstances change
all the time, that is life.  I wish the people who now have her stock, the
best!  I am sure they will continue to produce great ferrets.  I certainly
hold good breeders in high regard since breeding ferrets is not an easy
task and it is NOT a million-dollar industry (for most).  I guess that
there will always be breeders who will continue to bash each other
(competition) but I do NOT think it should ever make it onto the FML.
If I was a breeder and somebody made such statements, I would hold them
legally responsible.  People, let us remember this when others start
bashing the competition.  Look at who is saying what and ask them to give
reasons for their comments.

Hey, it is only fair.