From:
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 07:56:14 -0700
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Diabetes
>We have used the 'Net to find a knowledgeable fuzzie DVM.  He diagnosed our
>oldest fuzzie, Benjamin, who is 4 y/o, with diabetes about 2 weeks ago.
>Since then we have been taking to task trying to get his sugar under
>control..  We have scoured the 'Net and many ferret sites looking for
>information regarding sugar diabetes but to no avail.

Diabetes is extremely rare in ferrets.  Might talk to the vet about
verifying the diagnosis.

From:    Cynthia <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Ferret Adoption Update
>Now I have a question for you: I have had quite a bit of interest from
>people outside of NY (Illinois, Michigan, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc), and I
>have been asked if I would ship them.  Has anyone had experience with this?

If you want to send ferrets by airplane the most recommended method is Delta
Dash.  You get any airline approved carrier.  Feed and let the ferrets get
water just before the flight and for short flight like you mentioned don't
have water bottles inth ecage as they would just end up leaking and you'd
end up with dirty smelly unhappy and probably thirsty ferrets.  If they are
without water for a couple hours all you'd get is thirsty ferrets.

Delta Dash in most airports is terminal to terminal witout sidetrips to
cargo areas.  You drop the crate off at the ticket counter and the ferrets
are met at baggage pickup.

You point out strongly that ferret overpopulation is regional.  Areas in the
center of the country tend to have more need than supply.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Ferret Math at Wyrdhaven
>The Weasels of Wyrdhaven have just added one to their number; a 4-week old
>Marshall Farms kit presently unamed.

Quick question... are the ferret's eyes opened?  If so she is probably 6
weeks.  If starting to open she is in the 5 week range.  If closed she could
be 4.

Four week old ferrets are barely starting to eat mush much less normal
kibble.

Wow!  Four weeks!  Scary.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets